Sustainable Development Goals School Journal update!

Really keen to continue working on our new educational resources where art and social/environmental sciences converge to create identification and action. We have started working with Te Puke school, a little country school near Raglan. Guess what: Pip Mears, Principal used to be my teacher in middle school!!!!! 

Below are a few draft pages and the cover of the Sustainable Development Goals School Journals that each child will receive to work in with their class and teachers:

Journal draft cover
Journal draft Table of Contents
Journal draft introduction
Everything is still open for new ideas and co-design!

Key Competencies 

The educators who collaborated on the Sustainable Journals designed the program with the following key competencies in mind:

Thinking
Success Criteria: I know I will be successful if I…
·  Share my thoughts about the ideas that the artworks bring up
·  Share my comments and questions about the connection between the artworks and the actions they can inspire
·  Contribute new ideas to discussions as they happen

Participating and contributing
Success Criteria: I know I will be successful if I…
·  Take advantage of all the time I have to work on my project
·  Listen as others speak for students to group their ideas into different categories
·  Take a risk and share my questions or confusions to help my understanding

Using language, symbols and texts
Success Criteria: I know I will be successful if I…
·  Respond with words, drawings or music when sharing my ideas
·  Connect some of the words already written with my words and thoughts to create new ideas
·  Listen and ask questions if I do not understand some of the teacher explanations

Relating to others
Success Criteria: I know I will be successful if I…
·  Listen as others speak for each student to share time and take turns when sharing ideas
·  Recognise that other students may have different ideas to mine
·  Respect other students space and time as we work together

Managing self
Success Criteria: I know I will be successful if I…
·  Use my gentle voice when working with other students so that other groups may concentrate on their projects
·  Have a ‘can-do’ attitude to answer the questions we ask ourselves in class
·  Use class time to think and connect my ideas to the artwork